- Usability - It's a little difficult to easily see and handle a surface that is below eye level and vertical.
- Modifiability - Because the previous case had rails made of a very soft wood, there was no ability to "fine tune" the position of modules, and once I used a hole once, it would very quickly strip and be useless.
What makes these rails great is the ability to add a square or hexagonal nut inside, which can then slide freely, allowing me to position modules exactly against each other.
I had to figure out how I'd mount them to the wooden cheeks. Again, some very overpriced options exist, consisting of a metal plate and two screws. So I modified this for my own applications. I used a self-tapping metal screw to go into the central channel of the rail, to pull it against the cheek. This is not optimal, as with a sufficient amount of pulling it could eventually strip the rail, but this won't happen easily. Cutting the wooden cheeks was easy, and then it was onto sanding, staining, and lacquering, which took several days but has a great look now! (Plus stickers)
I still need to add the aluminum body, but that involves bending sheet metal, which I need to practice first.
I'm posting for now, but will be adding a discussion on the power bus.